Frequently Asked Questions [FAQ]

Need help? This is the place to post all your general support questions.

Frequently Asked Questions [FAQ]

Postby n2j3 » Mon Jan 18, 2010 5:23 pm

What are the minimal system requirements to run xPUD ?

An optimum system for xPUD would have an Intel Atom CPU, at least 384MB of RAM and an Intel graphics video chip.

Xpud needs 50 Mo of hard drive free space or USB stick of at least 50 Mo to be installed. Of course it runs on other hardware too, but you might need to download additional device drivers.

How can i install and use xPUD ?

Please check the installation section of the forum.

How to update GRUB or GRUB2 ?

* GRUB : Edit in /boot/grub/menu.lst file.
* GRUB2 : Edit 40_custom file in /etc/grub.d, add your menu-entry lines, save and change the file to be executable. Run update-grub command.Wait until it reads all the config files in the /etc/grub.d folder and generates the new boot menu. Check the grub.cfg file for the new menu entry.

Which packages are available for xPUD ?

* core : Firefox (version 3.5.5), xterm command line, Xorg X window system (version X11R7.5)
* media : gnome-mplayer media player (version 0.9.8)
* apps.opt : epdfview pdf viewer (version 0.1.7), geany text editor (version 0.185), gpicview picture viewer (version 0.2.1), pcmanfm file manager (version 0.5), transmission bittorrent client (version 1.76)
* codecs.opt : audio and video codecs
* driver.opt : additional drivers
* dropbox.opt : dropbox (version 0.6.1)
* OOo.opt : Openoffice.org (version 3.1.1)
* skype.opt : skype (version 2.1 beta)
* xbmc : xbmc media player and manager (version 9.10)

How can i install extra package from opt-get store?

You can either use the graphical opt-get from settings tab, it will download and install packages. You can also use opt-get command from the command line, this option allows you to pre-download the packages.

You can also copy the opt files in /opt folder and the files will be auto-loaded , or use initrd= bootoption during boot (or add it to your boatloader).
How can i help ?

* make xPUD popular - write about it (twitter, blog), show it to your friends
* translate xPUD's user interface (Plate UI) or update existing translations
* test xPUD on different devices and report issues
* fix reported issues (intermediate Linux knowledge required)
* join xPUD development team and help us improve xPUD (intermediate Linux and/or HTML/CSS/JS knowledge required)

How can i report bugs ?

Use our bug tracker : http://code.google.com/p/xpud/issues/list

How to roll-your-own xPUD ?

The mkxpud tool is used to build custom xPUD image. You can find detailed usage instructions in mkxpud's documentation. Instructions on setting up build environment and building xPUD are located here .
Remember to search the forum and rtfg before you post!
n2j3

id: halfadmin

Re: Frequently Asked Questions [FAQ]

Postby derdonut » Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:36 pm

misleading :
You can also copy the opt files in /opt folder and the files will be auto-loaded

i copied the *.opd files to c:\xpud\opt . nothing happened

please define where to copy the files to.
derdonut

Postby n2j3 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:40 am

derdonut wrote:misleading :
You can also copy the opt files in /opt folder and the files will be auto-loaded

i copied the *.opd files to c:\xpud\opt . nothing happened

please define where to copy the files to.

I copied that FAQ from the old forum. Since i'm not the author I can't really correct it but I _guess_ it means copy the media and or core files from the opt directory to anywhere you like and then add them to initrd (with the correct path ofcourse i.e /anywhere/media, /anywhere/core.
n2j3

id: halfadmin

Postby tvelter » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:10 am

Hi

You can of course copy the media and core files from /opt to a ny folder, and then link them correctly in your bootloader.

The meaning is download .opt package file and let xPUD auto-load them at boot, byt copy those file in /opt folder.

If you face some issue, please try at least 2 or 3 boot to see if any difference, if it doesn't work, that means bug, then plase bug report : http://code.google.com/p/xpud/issues/list

I realize that the auto-load of opt package is not working perfectly also, as it will load the packages sometime but not everytime ....
Tristan
tvelter
Site Admin

Postby waterwingz » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:27 pm

I suppose it should maybe be obvious, but I had trouble with the instructions on where to place the opt-get plugins when booting from a USB device.

The instruction says :

Download these Opt plugins, and put them under opt/ directory of your bootable device,

But there is an opt directory on my USB stick (prior to booting xPUD) and there is also an opt directory that appears under / once xPUD is running. I finally placed the driver.opt file in both and now the wifi hardware on my laptop work perfectly.

Which directory was the right one ?

Tony
waterwingz

Postby derdonut » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:01 pm

That may be a stupid question, but how do i do this on a harddrive installation?

On a stick it worked somehow <hadnt worked for extra apply, but for skype> but with the hardrive installation i`m completly lost.

Didn`t get to have anything i change persistent.
derdonut

Postby tvelter » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:46 am

waterwingz wrote:But there is an opt directory on my USB stick (prior to booting xPUD) and there is also an opt directory that appears under / once xPUD is running. I finally placed the driver.opt file in both and now the wifi hardware on my laptop work perfectly.

Which directory was the right one ?

The /opt directory on the USB is the one, not the one that will appear at the root while xPUD running. So you can copy the files from any other OS, before starting xPUD...

derdonut wrote:That may be a stupid question, but how do i do this on a harddrive installation?

On a stick it worked somehow <hadnt worked for extra apply, but for skype> but with the hardrive installation i`m completly lost.

Didn`t get to have anything i change persistent.

You have all the explanations in the installation section of the forum : viewforum.php?f=4&start=0
To copy the opt packages in /opt folder, justs create an /opt folder at the root of the partition (either windows or linux) where are xPUD files, and copy the packages in that folder...
Tristan
tvelter
Site Admin

Postby derdonut » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:45 pm

@tvelter

>at the root of the partition (

i think that was missing. naturally i made an opt in c:\xpud as root of the application. Get used to windows conventions since... when did 2.0 come out?

I still didn't see that information in the linked section (searched in windows install). /out just looks like a subdirectory.

hm.. rootdirectory. Extra Appz also don't seem to get loaded (tried twice with download), skype is loaded from this position (could it be that this take while?)
derdonut

Postby tvelter » Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:27 am

Ok,

Sorry for the confusion.

I meant create /opt folder at the root of the partition used. Will mention more clearly in the tutorials linker by myself... thanks for notice me.

By the way the backup/restore was buggy until 14th december (no autoload or just one opt loaded at a time), i.e. the last xPUD 0.9.2 release does not work properly. You should try with the latest development build from :
http://soldat.gr/xpud/devel/, http://xpud.kionez.org/devel or http://download.xpud.org/devel/
Tristan
tvelter
Site Admin

Postby vieux-pingouin » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:03 am

Bonjour Tristan !

Xpud on USB with gparted and geany (apps.opt)is a fantastic tool to explore and repare, and I talk about often on the forum http://forum.eee-pc.fr/.
I am still unable to use chrome opera or me-tv
pb with libjmv fo opera
pb with libstdc now with me-tv
etc ...

but I try harder....
Maybe, I dont wait enough time ...
The boot is so fast, and we dont know if we have to save back at every logout
vieux-pingouin

Next

Return to Help & Support