Making a wireless password persistent

Tell us what you think of xPUD and help to improve the distro.

Making a wireless password persistent

Postby dabre » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:00 am

Here are a couple of tips that other linux non-geeks may find useful.

This is work-around for my xPUD build not remembering my wireless password. I have only tried it on my home network that uses WPA1/PSK
1. I connected to my wireless network in the usual way by clicking the wireless icon and entering the security key.
2. I opened a terminal and issued the following commands:
cp etc/netwiz/* / #This copies to the root folder, both files that are set up in netwiz folder as a result of entering the network key.
chmod +x 00* #Note that this makes both my files executable because they both begin with 00. Your files may have different names.
3. I opened geany text editor and inputted the following:
# Run wireless settings files. (These are the files on my laptop using WPA1. They will have different names on other machines.)
'./00:0F:B5:7E:73:3A'
'./00:0F:B5:7E:73:3A.conf'
4. I also added the command 'update-menus' to the beginning of the file to create all icons for the opts I've downloaded.
5. Saved the file (with chosen name "menu+wireless-setup") to the folder /etc/post-boot.d. I used "chmod +x menu+wireless-setup" to make the file executable. Anything you put in this folder gets run at startup.
6. I restarted the laptop, remembering to save settings.

After doing this my laptop starts in the usual brilliant xPUD 15 secs, then a few seconds later the wireless LED lights up and several seconds after that the laptop connects to my wireless network.

HTH,
Dave
dabre

Re: Making a wireless password persistent

Postby tvelter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:46 am

Thanks for sharing your tips,

The wireless password saving issue that occurs in xPUD 0.9.2 has been actually solved in later development builds.
Thanks anyway and enjoy xPUD !
Tristan
Remember to search the forum and rtfg before you post!
tvelter
Site Admin

Postby zijin_cheng » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:37 am

so I followed the instructions, and you know what happens? The menu+wireless file doesn't get executed.

When I manually go into post.boot.d folder and execute it, it works, but other than that, it does't
zijin_cheng

Postby tvelter » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:13 am

Are you sure your script is a bash one ?
have you tried to chmod it ?
Tristan
Remember to search the forum and rtfg before you post!
tvelter
Site Admin

Return to Feeback & Suggestions